Monday, May 7, 2012

Sports Day [back post]



Getting ready to start



     My school's Sports Day (field day) was held in the beginning of May. I was looking forward to the day, partly because I wouldn't have to teach that day. My co-teacher, Jooyoung, and I arrived early in the morning as preparations were still underway -- kids were carrying chairs out to place them under newly-raised shelters as teachers directed, set out prizes, and arranged various other things. As I walked into the school building I was handed a bright red t-shirt that matched what all the other teachers and students were wearing. So I changed quickly, then went back out to the field.

   I felt a little useless then, deaf to the meaning of the chatter swirling around me. But before long, the parents, grandparents, and other sundry supporters had gathered, students lined up in rows by grade on the soccer field, and the festivities began.

   They started by singing the school's song and the Korean national anthem. It is a slightly odd experience to be a foreigner standing in a crowd of people as they are saluting their flag and singing their nation's anthem... hands over hearts... I am an observer. I am not a citizen here -- as if that fact were no clear enough already. It's an interesting experience.

   Next they did groups stretches, and some students received rewards. The rest of the day, they alternated between activities with the students, parents, teachers, and various different combinations thereof.


Kindergarten footrace









Even though my participating mostly consisted of taking pictures, I was nearly as exhausted as the others by lunchtime. I guess just the heat was enough to tire one out. Combine that with the early morning and physical exercise, and you have a good recipe for exhaustion. Lunch was pleasant -- I was so hungry! It was also nice to be able to go home early that day (right after lunch). Upon returning home, I just wanted to sleep.
Parents carrying K-2 on stretchers for a relay

   It was a fun day, but very tiring. The kids played hard, and the parents and teachers were great sports in participating and cheering on the kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment