Monday, October 22, 2012

A Quiet Place

         I have gotten really fed up with not having a quiet place of my own to, well, have my quiet time. Not that my sister is a noisy roommate... I just need a place where I can be *alone*. It was especially difficult when the full heat of summer rolled in. You see, the climate in this area of Korea is not too far different from what I'm familiar with, coming from Alabama -- very hot and muggy -- but the key difference is that Koreans don't use air conditioners as liberally as we do back home. That was quite a challenge to endure (and a subject for another post).

    Before the weather was so hot, I'd sometimes go out in the morning and find a place to sit in one of the little park areas around my apartment. Otherwise, I'd stay in my room. It would usually be peaceful and quiet enough, with only the occasional passerby. With the arrival of summer, however, I had a different schedule: working in the morning instead of in the afternoon. So going out in the morning wasn't really an option for me, and by the time I returned home, it was too hot both indoors and out.

    So I went searching for a quiet (air-conditioned!) place.

    I tried many different cafes around my neighborhood and in the area in Gwangju where I get off the bus from my school. Eventually I found one worth returning to again and again. What a blessing it was to find that little cafe! Finally I had a peaceful little place I could go to, to read and pray!

Roti Mum Cafe

                                                        ~~~~~~~~~~~

Visiting late in the evening

    Summer has finally retreated, and winter is fast approaching. While the weather has been pleasant, I have enjoyed often walking up to the hill behind my apartment, which is crisscrossed with hiking trails. I found this area to be an even better place to go. On several occasions when I had a free day, I stayed up there for hours at a time -- reading the Bible, praying, exploring the trails... and taking a few pictures, of course. There's a bench I can go to there, and I can generally stay a long time without being disturbed. However, Koreans are big fans of hiking, so people will periodically pass me by.



    Walking those trails has been so refreshing. The rustling trees and chirping birds, the dappled light and fresh air... It is a haven. I wish I had the time to go up there more often.



                                                 ~~~~~~~~~~~

     I still desire a place to go that is quiet, private, and comfortable. Still, I am thankful for the places I have found, even if they aren't perfect.

Sunsets from the trails

       

No comments:

Post a Comment